Measuring accurately is crucial when it comes to installing blinds or shades. Here are some guidelines to help you measure your windows correctly:
Tools You'll Need:
- Steel measuring tape (recommended)
- Pencil and paper to record measurements
Step-by-Step Measuring Guidelines:
- Inside or Outside Mount: Determine whether you want an inside mount (inside the window frame) or an outside mount (outside the window frame). This decision will impact how you take your measurements.
- Width Measurement:
- For an inside mount: Measure the width inside the window frame from the top, middle, and bottom. Record the narrowest measurement of the three. This ensures that the blinds or shades will fit within the frame.
- For an outside mount: Measure the width of the area you want to cover. Add extra width for coverage and aesthetics. Typically, add 2-4 inches on each side, but it can vary based on your preference.
- Height Measurement: For both inside and outside mounts, measure the height from the top of the window frame to the desired length. This is typically where the blinds or shades will end.
- Depth Measurement (Inside Mount Only): Measure the depth of the window frame. This is important if you're installing blinds or shades that have a headrail or brackets that need to fit within the frame.
- Consider Obstructions: Account for any obstructions inside or outside the window frame, such as window cranks, handles, or locks. Measure around these obstructions or note their position for customizations.
- Repeat Measurements: It's a good practice to measure each window separately, even if they appear to be the same size. Windows can have slight variations in measurements.
- Record and Label: Write down all measurements clearly, and label them with the window location (e.g., bedroom, living room) to avoid confusion during installation.
- Check for Level: Ensure that the window frame is level by using a level tool. If it's not level, make a note of it as it may affect the fit of your blinds or shades.
- Consult Manufacturer Guidelines: Refer to the manufacturer's instructions or guidelines for specific measuring requirements, as different blinds and shades may have unique requirements.
Accurate measurements are essential to ensure your blinds or shades fit properly and function as intended. Taking the time to measure carefully can save you the hassle of returns or adjustments later on.